March 14, 2020
In response to the current CoronaVirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and following the government recommendations, St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Victorville, California will do the following:
- Sundays Liturgy is from 8:00 – 11:00 am
- No social gatherings or serving of food after the liturgy, we strongly recommend for everyone to leave immediately after the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy.
- All services (including Sunday School), activities, and spiritual meetings will be canceled until further notice.
- Weekly liturgies and vespers will continue to be held according to the Great Lent schedule. (Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday)
- Confessions will proceed as usual.
- Please stay home if you are sick or if someone in your household is sick with any flu-like/respiratory illnesses. This includes cough, runny nose, fever, and sneezing. Help yourself by getting some rest and also help us to be socially responsible and protect our loved ones.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Refrain from hugging and kissing others as much as possible. Likewise, during “greet one another” all are encouraged to greet by a bow without touching.
- Please bring your own cloth communion napkin (Lefafas) and head coverings for ladies.
- Plastic disposable cups are available for drinking water after communion. You can also bring your own water.
- Please wash your hands thoroughly and regularly. Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your arm.
- Routinely clean and disinfect all frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs, banisters, countertops, faucet handles, phones, etc.…
- Be prepared with adequate supplies for good hygiene, including easy access to clean and functional hand-washing stations, soap, paper towels, and alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Elders and those with compromised immune systems are encouraged to attend the shorter, weekday liturgies and avoid large public gatherings.
- The church is professionally disinfected weekly.
The California Department Public Health is issuing daily updates on COVID-19 at the following link: https://bit.ly/2Qflaev
Sunday School Servants will be providing parents and youths with the weekly Sunday school lessons. Parents are encouraged to explain the weekly lessons to their kids. The servants will also try to send the parents/youth an explanation of the week’s lesson.
As a congregation, we will continue to strengthen our spiritual lives by praying the 12th Hour Aghpeya prayers and reading three chapters from our Holy Bible (One chapter from Isaiah, one chapter from Mark, and one chapter from John).
With much prayers and love,
Fr. Mikhail Ibrahim
An Update on March 16, 2020
Due to the current Coronavirus situation and the implementation of the governor instructions:
• We will celebrate an additional Divine Liturgy every Saturday from 8:00 am – 11:15 am in the same arrangement as the Sunday Liturgy.
• Please attend one mass per week, to adhere to the recommended no more than 65 people in the church at one time.
Note: The Friday and Wednesday Masses will still be celebrated until the end of the Great Lent.
We will inform you of any changes to come.
Any family in need of any vital food commodity that is not available, please contact Father Michael Ibrahim directly without any hesitation.
We lift our hearts with prayers for our country and for all the people of the world that God may take away this temptation from us.
We rejoice in everything in Jesus Christ. Amen